Thursday, April 10, 2014

Traveling solo, plus 2 under 5 - what was I thinking?

Two kids, one me – and a flight to LA ahead of us. What was I thinking? Well, I wasn’t really – at least not with my brain, thinking with my heart was more like it. I was headed to LA for a baby shower for one of my longest best friends who lives in the town near where we grew up, so what better opportunity to take advantage of Abigail still flying free and have a girl’s weekend down south. I could attend the baby shower and spend the night with my other longest childhood best friend (whose hubby was out of town) and catch up with her, too – perfect idea, right?

But then a business trip to Seattle fell into the picture a week out, and momma’s guilt set in and I didn’t have the heart to be gone two days, home two and then jump on a plane with Abigail, leaving Isaac – who had been asking about when he’d be able to get on a plane again, at home. A late night booking and redeemed points to the rescue, Isaac had a ticket of his own! I guess it was a preview to the zone defense my husband and I will be playing come the fall when baby #3 makes its appearance, but seriously – what was I thinking?

Curbside check in came in handy, and thanks to my double stroller, I had the perfect holders for my car seat and booster, and Abigail in the front seat people watching through SJC with Isaac (my 4 ½ year old) by my side. Once we got dinners to go, and settled in at the gate – we were in good shape, at least for the time being. God bless Apple and the iPhone, which kept the kids occupied in flight, and of course the courtesy peanuts and apple juice won them both over. Landing was Isaac’s favorite part though – why? Because mom broke her gum rule, and let him chomp away to get his ears to pop.

After the last gum in the hair incident, I vowed to not let him eat gum again until he was 6, but keeping him comfortable took precedence, and the fact I made him spit it out once we got to the gate, certainly alleviated the risk of another bad haircut. Mom’s gotta do, what she’s gotta do, and this was one time breaking my own rule was the right thing to do. But let me be clear, he’s still not getting gum under any other circumstances for at least another year!

Security – check, dinner at the airport – check, flight –check, now I just needed to figure out how to get all our stuff, now with the added luggage that we had to retrieve, to the rental car place. And we made it – gotta love the discounted up-sale to the SUV, but damn that car seat that took me 20 minutes to get installed. Boy do I take for granted all the help I get from grandma – you are the best mom!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment