Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Did I ask for your opinion?

Why does being pregnant instantly open the door to unsolicited advice? I’m the first person to welcome conversation about what works for your baby, and what may or may not work for mine, but I can’t begin to explain how annoying it is to observe “the know it all.” Can I remind you that parenting is a learning experience. You surely don’t have all the right answers just because you popped out a kid! And oh by the way, every kid is different, so what works for your little one may not work for mine!

Now advice from the pediatrician, that’s typically my first stop for answers. My go-to girlfriends are usually a sure bet for honesty; and most of the time family input is helpful, but on occasion that route can become a slippery slope. Fortunately Isaac has two grandmothers who share their thoughts (which are welcomed), but they always respect the fact they are grandma, and Mark and I are the parents. I just wish everyone else had that point of view!

All I’m trying to say is, the next time you want to go off ranting to the expecting couple in the elevator about getting all the sleep you can because once baby comes that’s all over, take a step back and put yourself in their shoes. Entering parenthood is scary enough as it is, so the last thing an expecting mom or dad wants to hear about is how miserable their life is going to be once the baby arrives. And shame on you if that’s your message! Yes, babies change your life; and yes, babies may have spouts of fussiness or trouble sleeping, but you get through it. I’m not sugar coasting the reality, because I’ll be the first to admit, parenthood is no cakewalk; and to be honest, being a stay at home mom is HARD work; and frankly, work I’m not cut out for, but there is no better reward (in my opinion) than to see the miracle of life you and your partner created.

I don’t care if you aren’t religious, you have to believe in some type of higher power when you really break down the creation of life. HELLO – sperm meets egg; 6 weeks later you see a flashing light on the ultrasound that is a heart beat; at your 18 week appointment you get to see if baby Devlin is a he or she; then here you are at 38 weeks – full term in most books and boom you’re headed to the hospital. One minute he’s living inside you, and 5 sets of pushes later he’s cuddled in your arms. Nothing short of AMAZING!

I’ll get off my soapbox. Quick update on last night’s sleep, or lack thereof.

Our plan for last night didn’t quite turn out the way we had hoped, but it was for good reason – Isaac cut his second tooth. Seeing the second white nub this morning made last night’s broken sleep a lot more understandable. Poor Mark was extra tired this morning. God bless him; he kept his word and got up each time with me last night. Unfortunately, rocking didn’t work as well last night, so we caved to boob therapy, which turned out to be the only thing doing the trick. We’ll see how tonight goes. Mark seems to be coming down with a cold, so we’ll attempt to stay on track with our plan, but I may give in a little easier if papa isn’t up for his role as the rocker.

Final thoughts for today – keep freshly pumped breast milk out of abrupt arm and hand movement reach. I learned the hard way and lost half a bottle of milk all over my desk – nice! Hence the irritability in my tone today! Ugh – is this day over yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment