Thursday, May 6, 2010

HELLO TEETH - The Next Phase of Breastfeeding

Well, it finally happened, and I was forced to drop the middle name, which is never a result of something good when it’s coming from your parent. If you’ve been following my blog you’re already well aware that my little man’s first two teeth came through late last month. Since then, the joke at home has been about how breastfeeding was going to become a whole new experience. Well, so far so good, until last night!

That little stinker decided he wanted to chew his food like mommy and daddy, and my nipple was the main course. The piercing sensation (NOT in a good way – so not into that crap!) surprised the hell out of me. I literally jumped at the surprise and by the look on Isaac’s face, I startled the heck out of him, too. The pain subsided fairly quick, so after I pulled my shoulders out of my ears I let him go back to town.

Then this morning rolled around...

This past week Isaac has been consistently waking up between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. to eat breakfast, which has been working out quite well, since I typically need to be in the shower by 6:30 a.m. We’ve been setting our alarm clock, but Isaac has been playing that roll just fine. Once the whimpering wake up call rings, Mark makes his way to the nursery to retrieve him from his crib and brings him back to our room for me to feed him, most of the time while I’m half asleep. So this morning all was going as usual – Isaac nestled in my arms, laying beside me with boob in mouth, while my eyes were closed and I was on the verge of dozing off when – CLAMP! He bit me...again! Daggomit – that’s when the middle name got dropped. “Isaac Patrick, that hurts!”

Man, oh man, these nipples are tough, but shoot, they are no match for the sharp pearly whites that have made their home in Isaac’s mouth. I haven’t resorted to the cheek flick just yet, which my mom reminds me daily was what taught my sister and I FAST that biting the booby wasn’t allowed. Third time is the charm, and if he decides to practice chewing again tonight, I may need to follow in my mom’s footsteps...more to come on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment